Pages

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Sweeping leaves on a windy day


Memories of India



Bicycle, Mumbai.


MASH-style theatres, Mahatma Gandhi Tribal Hospital.
3-4 beds crammed into an operating room with frequent power cuts, basic equipment
and where sterility is maintained by a strict code of practice and magic jungle juice.


My friend and colleague, Dilip G in action.


Anaesthetist: “You do this case?”
Me: “I’m sorry, but I’m not even sure I know what I am looking at...”
Post-burn contracture in 1 1/2 year old child - over to you Dilip (as with most of the cases)


Model village within the Melghat tribal region.


Community health worker.


Monkey, Chikhaldara.


I am humbled by those such as Ashish & Kavita S (who run the hospital as well as administer community medicine and agriculture programs) that devote their lives to helping others in need, by the enormous problem of poverty, and by how little impact our individual efforts seem to make.

But I would like to come back. Possibly more to satisfy my sense of place in this world and a need to believe that my efforts can make a small difference (yes, it's all about me).

As we are wont to say: “Thank you very much. Please come again”







No comments: